Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years later

It's obviously an anniversary that should be noted, but I'm not gonna get into that here, because all you have to do is turn on the TV (to any station. the animal planet tribute to 9/11?) or the radio to get a glimpse of what's goin on today with people. I don't think there's much I can add to that, other than to say I think it's pretty terrible that that many people think we need reminding of what happened.
NPR had an interesting piece last night about the memorial that they're gonna build and how it compares to thememorials for the second worst disaster in NY history as well as one of the most horrific. These are a small statue in Tompkins Square Park and a 2'x2' plaque, respectively. It's strange to see how tangible our grief seems to have become since then. I guess they just assumed that these sort of terrible events would be etched into our memory, scar tissue that would remain long after the survivors and the blame. It didn't. I don't know whether it's better to make a hulking memorial or if it's insulting to erect something far more modest, but it's something to think about. I'm gonna go now, but I'll try to post something tasteful here later.

also, Ken Lay's trial was supposed to start today. I just thought of that, not sure why I should mention it here.

No comments: