Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Worst. Flag Day. Ever.


Not really, my day has actually gone much better than the latter half of yesterday, but I swear to you I woke up this morning with a broken finger. Well, it’s more like a broken knuckle (pinky), but still, who the hell does that? Is it even possible? Am I sleepwalking? Sleep-punching? Did I have a son years ago in a sleepwalking fit, only to have my affliction return years later to offer up my unconscious custody of said son as collateral in a sleep-armwrestling tournament? Actually, that would be pretty goddamn cool. Either way, this hurts far more than a pinky finger should be capable of, and it’s not helping my typing proficiency, to say the least. Oh, and I haven’t gone running yetthis week because my foot was reduced to a bloody gash over the weekend. As you can imagine, I’m a picture of perfectly mediocre/failing health.

Woke up this morning to the sound of the news radio announcer running through that ode to the flag thing they do every year and it just made me want to crawl back into bed. It’s been generally accepted by now that the Betsy Ross story is fabricated, and it was likely that she had an affair with George Washington. So why are still going through this crap? There are people gathering at Betsy Ross’ house (hey, let’s make Paul Bunyan’s house a national monument, too!) to celebrate Flag Day. Are you fucking kidding me? Is this the best goddamn thing you can do with your time? For fuck’s sake, a 4 year old girl was shot in our streets this morning and they’re going to check out magicians. There was a great article in the news the other day about how fucking stupid we are with our gun laws and the state won’t let the existing laws be changed just for the city. What do you think would happen if dead kids started cropping up in the suburbs and rural areas? Well, obviously that will never happen, because the cities are where all the violent and barbaric people live. No, fucktard, it’s where the POOREST people live. Ugh, I’m too tired to get started on this.

It turns out yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the publication of the Pentagon Papers, which was a much more valid topic than the crap I was going on about yesterday. In any case, the whole story of the Pentagon papers is worth knowing, since it’s apt right now and it more or less shows you that one man’s consience can turn the tide of an entire war if placed in the right hands. The people that know the things are well aware of this, and you’ll notice that more and more efforts are being made by the administration right now to silence any whistle blowers. Seriously, it doesn’t take paranoia or even effort to realize that there’s a lot of shit going on that we’re not supposed to know about. Watch Alberto Gonzalez for more than 15 minutes and it should be plain to a kitten. Anyway, Ellsberg wrote a nice little Op-Ed for the LA Times which is worth reading.

Anyways, I intended this post to be about the fictional heroes of 19th Century French literature (no, really), but I’m outta time and have too much work to get done right now. As promised yesterday, though, here are some songs about sexy stuff. I know I specifically said “T&A” yesterday, but that would require using that Stones song that I don’t really like. And I wouldn’t do that to you people. Some of these are filthy, and some of these aren’t really about sex, but hey, at least it looks good on paper. Two of these are unreleased as far as I know.

“Shake Your Moneymaker” – Elmore James

Buy The Sky is Crying here


“Banging Camp” – The Hold Steady

But Separation Sunday here

“Stand Up” – Charli Baltimore and Ghostface Killah

unreleased

“Cocksucker Blues” – The Rolling Stones

unreleased

"Erected" - The Pink Mountaintops

Buy The Axis of Evol here

I''m finishing my post up today after receiving a massage (how bourgeois of me, I know, but after this weekend, I'm not opposed to getting free help on my crumbling body) and I can honestly say I should always write this thing after one, as evidenced bythe noticeable lack of curse words spewing from my brain. and if you're wondering why I'm putting up a whopping four songs today, it's because tomorrow I'm going to a baseball game, then my cousin's high school graduation, then dinner with my grandparents. How's THAT for American!??

Oh, and New Line is going to going to motherfucking remake Battle Royale. Normally, I’d be excited about this, but you just KNOW they’re going to fuck this up terribly. I'm already cringing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, Cotton, take a Xanax.

Anonymous said...

hey cotton, mr. staib - proprietor of the city tavern and de facto colonial philly historian - told me that betsy ross was a prostitute.

Unknown said...

Betsy Ross: Lying whore.