Friday, June 23, 2006

2X2L calling CQ... 2X2L calling CQ... 2X2L calling CQ... New York. Isn't there anyone on the air?



Well, it's a pretty busy day here in Cobra-La, so I don't have a huge amount of time. I'm not even gonna bitch about the whole estate tax hoopla. In far more awesome news, it appears that they're gonna bring Futurama back, though in 2008 I'm not even sure I'll still have a sense of humor (I'm assuming that by then I'll be eating cat food or drafted to fight the war in Iran or some such shit). In other completely awesome news, the writer and director of 28 Days Later (arguably my favorite movie of all time) have set a release date on the new movie they're working on together. Ther'es some clips and blogs and stuff over at the official site. I for one, can't fucking wait. It will invariably let me down, but fuck off I need something to be excited about as far as movies go, and right now the 2 Pirates of the Caribbean sequels aren't enough to hold me over. and I have no fucking clue what to expect from this. That's a shitload of linking right there. Don't ever say I don't work on this shit. I meant to take a half-hour lunch today and I've been typing here for 45. So I'm gonna move on. I'm still planning a BBQ for tomorrow, so if you like dodging lightning bolts (it's supposed to storm here all weekend. bad) and eating overcooked Italian sausage, you know where to head.

I was thinking about the X tracks I posted the other day and figured I'd get even more awesome by linking X (the band I posted about 2 days ago) with Stephen Malkmus (a guy who I posted a song from yesterday, a song with a screen legend intro, like I'm gonna post in a few minutes) in a song here. Holy shit, my head is swimming with cohesiveness. I CAN SEE THROUGH TIME. Here's Elastica with a guest shot from SM playing an X cover. It's from the SubUrbia soundtrack. The movie was a shitty production of a pretty great play, but the soundtrack was almost stellar, featuring contributions from Thurson Moore as well as Sonic Youth, Money Mark remixing U.N.K.L.E., Superchunk, the Flaming Lips, perennial favorites the Butthole Surfers, and the late, great Gene Pitney.

"The Unheard Music" - Elastica feat. Stephen Malkmus


But the SubUrbia soundtrack here.

Pinback is a band that seems to get far more love on the west coast than they do on the east. what's up with that? I guess they don't sound pissed enough, which might explain why the metal side project Goblin Cock (get it!!??? sigh.) did better over here. Anyway, they've got a nice mellow sound, and the guys can really harmonize when they want to. As promised, the first song (easily my favorite they've ever done) has an into that is ripped directly from the infamous radio broadcast of Orson Welles' War of the Worlds. These songs are both from 2001's Blue Screen Life, which I wouldn't classify as their best album, but it's still a great one. Maybe when I run out of stuff to post (mid-October), I'll go back and put some of their newer stuff up.

"Boo" - Pinback

""Offline P.K." - Pinback

Buy Blue Screen Life here

oh and what the hell. here's Cold War Kids' "We Used to Vacation"

buy the Up in Rags EP here

now screw you guys i'm off to start my weekend.

1 comment:

David Goodman said...

In honor of your odes to bbq and fondness for cookouts, of which we will honorably attend you should check out the bbq-nuts at:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/