Thursday, June 22, 2006

"I am just a nice, clean-cut Mongolian boy."


Well, with all that out of the way, I can get down to my usual cuss-filled crappy posting.

I shaved my head last night. Not BIC shaved, but it's short enough that it looks like I have blond hair again. I've already endured a raft of shit about this that could cross an ocean. It doesn't matter, because goddamnit it's fucking hot out, and I got sick of looking like a hippie. I pretty much go by the goat-shearing haircut method of shaving it back once a year at the beginning of the summer with a few trims here and there throughout the rest of the year. Anyway, it feels incredibly awesome and I'm excited to go swimming and not having that shit drip down my back for 45 minutes. Through a complete coincidence, I was listening to that first Stephen Malkmus solo album and came across the track that starts with Yul Brynner talking about how shaving his head worked so well for him and figured it was fate telling me to post a bunch of songs most of you have probably already heard today. So huzzah!

"Jo Jo's Jacket" - Stephen Malkmus

You thought I was I was gonna post "Cut Your Hair", didn't you? Well, I thought about it, but it seemed too easy, and that song still reminds me of that Brady Bunch Movie. Thank Gorilla Vs. Bear, though, because that blog is awesome. Incidentally, are a lot of people covering that song lately? I've heard Cassettes Won't Listen, Casey Dienel both play it, as well as someone else whom I can't remember the name of. But I digress.
It might be taken as heresy by some, but I don't really like much of Dylan's post-accoustic work. There's Highway 61 of course, and the stellar Basement Tapes, but most of it tends to ramble with me and not in a good way. Blood on the Tracks takes for fucking ever to listen to and Desire just never really had much to offer me. It wasn't until New Morning that I found an album that had what I was looking for from him. and yes, it was the Big Lebowski that made me seek out the record. Actually, I never bought it. There's a single copy of this album that's been passed around a group of my friends for years that somehow isn't scratched to shit by now, and it's from that copy that the following songs are taken. The first one might be my absolute favorite Dylan song ever, though I couldn't tell you why. It just has a nice feel to me. The second one, I just found out, was written about Elvis after Dylan met him early in his Vegas career. or so AMG says. They also dump on the song, which I think is strange since it's one of my favorites from the album. Well fuck it, I still think it's a classic, and presented here for your enjoyment.

"Day of the Locusts" - Bob Dylan


"Went to See the Gypsy" - Bob Dylan

and not entirely by accident, I'm gonna tie in the gypsy mention back into the shaved head motif by rounding this back to Yul Brynner. The man truly led one of the most interesting lives I've ever ever heard of, and was really an interesting guy who has appeared in some of my favorite movies of all time. This is a recording of him singing and playing guitar on a Tsigani Russian song accompanied by a friend. I found it on this page here, which the best I can tell is run by his son. It's really interesting and is definitely worth looking at.

"Okonchen Poot," by Yul Brynner and Aliosha Dimitrievitch


I've been planning such a motherfucking power date for tomorrow night I'll be totally excited if it doesn't explode halfway through the evening. I'm also trying to throw together a cookout for Saturday night as I'm putting together tomorrow's plans. Arranging a weekend all at once is tiring like a motherfucker! Anyways, I've already got a song picked out for tomorrow, a song with ANOTHER hollywood legend's voice being used to provide an intro. How's THAT for transition!!?? I was referred to as "reverse Samson" at work today because shaving my head seems to have made me smarter and more efficient at work. That's a load of shit, but I take what I can get y'know?

No comments: