Monday, October 30, 2006

Red Auerbach died on Saturday. Which is a damned shame. It should probably be clear by now that I'm not a massive sports fan, and never really have been. I grew up playing unpopular sports and quit them as soon as I was old enough to realize I could. Like any guy, I still know a pretty good deal about sports and can bullshit about them for hours. I can tell you what's wrong with the Eagles' defense or why the Phillies are the poorest managed team in baseball, but I still don't care. I've never watched a football game on TV by choice. But sometimes you end up picking this stuff up whether you like it or not.
Basketball, though was always a different story. Until quite recently, I've followed basketball closely and could name the starting lineups of every team going back to the mid-80s, and that Rick Barry was the last great underhand free-throw shooter. But as I've gotten older I started losing interest in the sport, I guess thinking that all my favorite characters were being phased out of the game by reckless kids and professional athletes. It's not altogether true, but it explains a lot of what I was feeling. Red, though, was the game at its core. In a sport where we have scouts and coaches and management, he was all three. He would handle the promotional aspects of his club the same day he'd be in the ticket booth 45 minutes before he was set to coach a game. To consider that in today's game is completely unbelieveable. Not only that, though, he was both a fierce competitor and better yet a good guy. He worked hard at his job and led some of the greatest teams ever assembled on the court. Anyway, he changed the game and his passing is a devastating blow to basketball and sports in general.
There's a nice article about the man here. Also, I'd totally recommend his last book. It was a fantastic read.

Anyways, who likes Creeper Lagoon? I bought this CD because of David Cross's CL t-shirt in an episode of Mr. Show almost 8 years ago. I can honestly say I didn't know what to expect and I still don't in trying to describe them now. So here's two songs from an EP they did a long time ago that I just found in the trunk of my car. I should just make these the theme for the rest of the week. Shit, how about a whole blog of "music I found in the trunk of my car"? I bet I could keep it running for a year. Anyways, yeah. This second band is one I found completely by looking for a Celtics-related song. I could find any, but I'm surprised how much I like this song.

"Centipede Eyes" - Creeper Lagoon

"My Friends Adore You" - Creeper Lagoon
But the Watering Ghost Garden EP for under a buck here.

"Boston Whaler" - Kamikaze Hearts
Buy Oneida Road here and listen to some more for free here.

No comments: