Thursday, October 05, 2006


long week, the kind where nothing goes as planned at home and the office seems like a place to go to keep me from lying around on the floor all day. I’ve been listening to a lot of this (sort-of) new Tom Waits stuff that’s been appearing all over the internet lately, which can’t really be a good sign of anything. Anyway, I like it, the stuff I’ve heard. I mean there’s three discs so I can’t suppose about all of it, but it hits a lot closer to home than most of his recent output has. I think Tom Waits, if he actually cared to, could write the most beautiful music on the planet, but refuses to on accound of it doesn’t sound rusty or sharp or scary enough. I truly think he finishes his stuff and it probably sounds like Jackson Browne or something before I re-dubs the vocals in his post-1974 voice and then says “I need some equipment from a Victorian–era sanitarium clanging against a a dead clown’s shin bone” to round off the track. It’s like he’s going out of his way to sound acute. Where does Jon Brion get those dead clown bones, anyway?

So my utter, paralyzing fear of the day is not necessarily growing old, but growing old hopelessly. I think my biggest fear in the world is succumbing to my own white fate, becoming some schlub who looks talks at parties about APR rates and where to get a good deal on a gas grill or somehing. I don’t want to see myself hopelessly trying to retain my youth, or so completely mundane that half my conversations consist of the weather. and every day I don’t do something about it I find myself nudged a few more inches in this direction. I don’t really know where I’m going with this, but it’s a pretty claustrophobic day and I’m in too shitty a mood to really be distracted enough to talk about anything else.

in more interesting news, a dog was just banned from the state of Indiana.

Also, check out Iggy Pop's tour rider. I know this is the sort of thing i say is awesome and nobody listens because not many people care about this sort of thing, but it is seriously awesome.

This is a terrible post, I know. So here’s some songs from a National EP I didn’t know existed until a few months ago.

“All the Wine” – The National

“All Dolled-Up In Straps” – The National

Buy Cherry Tree here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if i were a person who gives advice, which i am not, i would have to tell you that you are far too interesting to fall into that hopeless, boring hole and you should look at the bright side- it's never too late to do something about it. but i think i'm terrified of exactly the same thing which is why i had to say something.