Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Lost and Pounds


Sorry for such a late post, but I've been trying not to fall asleep at work all day and just couldn't free up the higher brain function to actually stop and write something. This morning I came across a CD that I made, one of the first CDs I've ever made, in 200o. It's strange to think how little time has actually gone by since I made that switch. I think if prompted to name the biggest differences between 2000 and now, the first three answers a that would spring to mind are is that 1)the world is not necessarily as much a scarier place, but it's much more overt now so it seems a lot scarier, 2) absolutely everyone in sports is on steroids, and c) I don't need five hours, six beers and seventeen square feet f floor space to make a mix. In some ways it's so much better. I mean the technology isso superior, and everything's obviously far more convient, but it's gone from being something I'd have to plan ahead, something I'd be ready to bleed for. Now I make them as an afterthought on my way out the door. I don't know, I'm not complaining, but just pondering the differences.
I must have gotten used to it, though, because hearing these early attempts at making a mix of my first randomly downloaded batch of songs. I pretty much forgot all of the lessons I'd learned with cassettes. There are incomplete songs, several songs in a row by the same artist, pretty much anything that can go wrong with an assortment of songs. This one I found earlier had a song that I haven't listened to in years and years, Morphine's "All Your Way", which still makes me think of the most heartbroken I've ever been in my life. It was surprising to see how it still caught me. Of course it was cut off about halfway through (dialup!), so I was left still dazed when I heard the Stranglers come booming out. I can't really remember where I was going with this...
Anyway, here's some songs I found on old mixes today. The second song is from a CD I bought in London in 2000 and accidentally left at someone's house while over there. I was pretty pissed about it, since it was lost with my buddy's London disc buy, as well as the one issue of Grand Royal magazine I was missing at the time. I went home pissed about that, and never really got over it until I bought it again last year, only to find myself really let down. Still, that's a long, long story for another day.

"Hey" - TeamUSA

Buy Listen to the Night here.

"Y Ahora Tu" - Up Bustle & Out

But FunkJazztical Tricknology here.

No comments: