Sunday, October 29, 2006

Halloween Parade


Woke up yesterday a little late, had about seven loads of laundry to do, and I really wanted a cup of coffee. So I drove into town only to realize that for the fourth year in a row I had stumbled completely unaware into the Halloween parade, which is always awesome. I sat and enjoyed this for awhile until I remembered why I was there. It turned out that the power was out all over please because the wind had downed a limb outside of town. So I had to go a town over to do the laundry and get my damned coffee. It was worth it, I got to kill some time walking around a really small college town and talk to overfriendly old men and smell burning leaves. Finally got a chance to listen to the new Andrew Bird and Be Good Tanyas albums. and a bunch of Dylan outtakes from Blonde on Blonde. It was the sort of day that really made me love where I live. Later we went to the French place up the street. All the waiters were in costume, there was a pirate and a Wonder Woman and a Bjork. And got to hang out with a few good friends at the bar later. It was absolutely dead there until about 12:30, when the spillover from what must have been the sluttiest Halloween party ever poured in to the place. Seriously there was a slutty variation of everything you can imagine. Witches, nurses, bears... cops. "This offends me as a woman" said an tiny, angry Dorothy, as she lit a cigarette, "but more because I'm a cop". It was pretty surreal and grotesque. Anyways it made me regret not having a costume this year. Maye next year I'll go out as a slutty robot or something. I stayed up too late last night only to realize that the clocks were set back last night and I got an extra hour of sleep. Life is good. I think tonight I'm going to sneak around town tonight and remove all of the election signs from municipal property. Noble, right?
This song was a pretty easy pick after yesterday. It's from an album that my sister fell in love with in 1991 and fell into my hands a year later.

"Halloween Parade" - Lou Reed

"Romeo Had Juliette" - Lou Reed
Buy New York here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there was some serious high jinks going on last night at the bar. Good times.