Wednesday, August 02, 2006



One of the great things about doing this little thing are the google searches I invariably end up scrambling to find once I’ve completed the post. I try to incorporate 2 very random words from the song titles to see what comes up, but today I thought “gorilla fries”, and behold the beauty that sprang from it. Also, because today's subject matter doesn't sound like it would bring anything tolerable up.

Anyway, yesterday was probably the most harrowing day I can remember ever happen, which is kinda strange because for all rights it will be one that I’ll remember for the rest of my life. Let’s just hope I remember it for the right reasons. Anyway, last night I was sitting in bed at 4:30 trying to fall asleep in the unbearable heat (I thought about getting into an ice-filled bathtub, but figured I’d probably wake up freaking out thinking my organs had been stolen or something) and just wallowing in my own misery when I heard the radio news report about rabies in China. Have you heard about this? Because of 3 recent deaths due to canine rabies. The chinese government has exterminated over 50,000 dogs. FIFTY THOUSAND DOGS. I mean, you gotta figure at least ¾ of those were pets, right? The government was offering families just over 60 cents per each dog that was killed. Man, do you know how hard it is to think about money problems or some other petty crap (and in the end, that’s what 95% of my problems are – petty crap, unavoidable, or my own damn fault) when there’s, I dunno, a few hundred thousand kids who just watched their pets get shot. “Sorry about Fluffy, Xian, but why don’t you go buy a pack of gum”. It seems that China's had a rought time with rabies, with a couple thousand people getting infected every year, including 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004. The US had a record six. Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me how often the Chinese government drops the ball on public health. China, you’ve got over a billion and a half people, and there are more people working to block the internet to your residents than there are trying to keep them from dying of rabies? What the fuck? They probably spent more time covering up SARS than they did vaccinating rabies. Anyway, I've been thinking about that a little this morning.

I've been thinking a lot lately to sliding back the amount of songs on here, to either 1 song per post every day or 2-3 songs every few days, with me just putting in text posts on the non-music days. Let me know what sounds better. It doesn't matter, in the end I'm just gonna start posting Chuck Mangione songs every day until I nobody reads this anymore. sigh.

oh, and Mel Gibson, thanks for providing some evidence that you're the crazy asshole we all knew you were. Now I'm gonna have to burn my copy of The Road Warrior.

"Mountain of Love" - Bruce Springsteen & the E. Street Band
This song is incredible. and short. In fact, I originally intended on posting a different song from this set (recorded at the original Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA in May, 1975) , but the files are huge so this is the one you get, lucky. It's a Beach Boys song, and to be honest I've always loathed the Beach Boys (2 most given reasons: the harmonies are too perfect and the only one that actually could surf drowned). But somehow the best live band in the world pounds this into a rock song. a great rock song. Anyways, it's got handclaps, great harmonies, and the sort of sax that actually makes you actually bolt upright and shoult epiphanies extolling the virtues of the instrument. I'm not normally a sax guy, as you might be able to tell.

"I Can Hear You Calling" - Three Dog Night

Another great song by this band that they didn't write.
Buy Naturally here.

"GDMFSOB" (UNKLE remix feat. Roots Manuva) - DJ Shadow

This song is a drastic reworking of an otherwise bland song on the last DJ Shadow album, and might have the highest density burst of cuss words in recorded history. It sort of kills the track, but to not give Roots Manuva credit for his Brian Eno reference would be criminal. So here it is, you've been warned. Odd fact: This song almost exclusively comes up on my ipod in the supermarket.
Buy the Mashin' On the Motorway EP here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Love that Foreign Exchange track

Anonymous said...

umm, who the fuck is posting stuff from a white pride website here?