Tuesday, July 18, 2006

You Forgot it In People



I woke up last night at like 4:30 with some sort of profound sentence etched into my mind. I was sure it was genius, I even sat awake for a few minutes, marvelling at my subconscious for planting something so profound for me to find when I woke up. I knew I should’ve written it down. I told myself, out loud even. But then my laziness get the best of me and I decidede to repeat it over and over until I’d had it memorized. I did this for a little while, but fell asleep pretty quickly. I woke up AGAIN later, freaking out at myself for falling asleep, but amazinly enough, I remembered it. I was so proud of myself that I contentedly rolled over and dozed off again, confident I’d still remember it when I woke up. Then I had a dream that I got into a fistfight at the wedding of some close friends with a kid I haven’t seen since I was 14. Later, I was consoled by a fictional character from and HBO series. Needless to say, I couldn’t remember my epiphany when I woke up, but now I’m wondering what the hell that dream was about. It’s easy to write off my mid-slumber revalations as bullshit, since it was probably just a lyric from T-Bone Walker (whom I fell asleep listening to), but my dreams have to have some sort of root in my psyche, right? Ugh, I shudder to think.

It’s still too fucking hot to think. Or Poo, Mr. Anonymous (if that is your real name) seriously, that’s probably the least obnoxious thing I’ve written in weeks. I am offended, sir.

This fucking invasion is still going on, while the rest of the world is forcd to wait in the U.S. to pull our thumbs our of our asses and say something, which we won’t. I’m so sick of news like this:

At least 215 people have now died during Israel’s seven-day-old assault on Lebanon. All but 14 of the dead are civilians. The Israeli bombings have displaced more than 400,000 Lebanese residents from their homes. Washington Post has reported that Israeli and U.S. officials are privately saying the Israeli bombing of Lebanon is expected to continue for several weeks. The paper also reports that the U.S. is supporting Israel in its refusal to agree to a ceasefire. On Monday President Bush was caught on tape privately telling Prime Minister Tony Blair that he felt UN Secretary General Kofi Annan’s call for a ceasefire “seems odd.” On Monday Hizbollah fired 50 rockets at Northern Israel. Several injuries were reported. Over the past week Hizbollah rocket attacks have killed at least 24 Israelis including twelve civilians. A new report by the Lebanese government shows that the Israeli air strikes have devastated the country’s infrastructure. Lebanon’s airports and seaports have been destroyed. Thirty-Eight roads have been cut off by bombs or shells and 42 bridges have been destroyed. Power stations, water-processing plants, grain silos and gas stations have also been targeted as well as communication and television antennas. The Daily Star newspaper in Beirut has accused Israel of violating the Geneva Conventions by attacking Lebanon’s civilian infrastructure. The United Nations is warning of a looming humanitarian disaster. The World Health Organization expects the number of Lebanese residents displaced from their homes to reach 900,000 by the end of today. Over one hundred thousand people have already fled to Syria. Public parks in Beirut now resemble refugee camps filled with displaced residents. The UN peacekeeping force in South Lebanon has said it has been unable to deliver humanitarian aid to stranded civilians because Israel would not guarantee the safe passage of the aid workers. Last week Israeli fire hit an ambulance run by the Lebanese Red Crescent. Aid organizations report many injured people are also unable to reach hospitals because so many roads and bridges have been bombed. Food and medical supplies are also running out in areas.

It’s such bullshit. Regardless of your stance on this invasion it is innocent civilians, children, that are dying here. It’s the average people that just want to work and provide for their families that are getting killed more than anyone here, just for invisible lines on a map and misguided attempts at retribution. This isn’t even counting the people that will starve to death once this is all said and done. Why the fuck can’t the overwhelming majority of those who just want to live without terror rise up against that tiny faction that wants only death and the will of their god? For the same reason my money is paying for one side of this, I suppose. How is self defense an accepted excuse in something like this? Last night on the news Brian Williams was in Tel Aviv, commenting on how the brave everyone there was for not being afraid? Afraid? Why the hell would they be afraid? That’s like me being afraid of an Iraqi invasion. Shit, be afraid of Diabetes. I feel for those 12 citizens, I do, but come the fuck on.

Also, can somebody please slap the shit out of Hillary? Please? And for the love of god not Nancy Pelosi. I’m pretty sure Barbara Boxer could take her down…

There’s a hundred more things I could go off about right now, truly. Instead, though I want you to point to Baghdad Burning. Her most recent post is over a week old, but I’ve gone back to read it twice since I first saw it.

While the Mekons definitely got their start in the punk movement, though to call them a punk band is something of a misnomer -their first big single "Never Been in a Riot" was a piss take on the Clash's "White Riot"- they've always maintained a defiant enough attitude to be considered punk enough. Since 1985's excellent Fear and Whiskey, I'd say they've been more of a country outfit than anything else. Since they're relocated to Chicago, they've managed to continue a small universe of side projects and other bands, all hold their fierce work ethic and moral standards true. While it's not one of my favorite songs of theirs, it works for today.

"Hate is the New Love" - The Mekons
But OOOH (Out of Our Heads) here

Sunset Rubdown is Spencer from Wolf Parade's other band. I'll leave it to you to discern the differences between the two.

"They Took a Vote and Said No" - Sunset Rubdown
Buy Shut Up I Am Dreaming here

This song is one of the most moving songs recorded in history, recorded by my second favorite singer of all time. It never fails to give me a more positive (if not determined) outlook on the tasks and life that lay before me. Read more about it here.

A Change Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

Buy Ain't That Good News here

Oh, and THE PRESIDENT CURSING DOESN'T COUNT AS NEWS, LIBERAL MEDIA. NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

No comments: