Wednesday, July 12, 2006

okay i'm back



Okay, I'm back and the monotony of spreadsheets and reading about Orthopaedic Surgery has calmed me down enough to let me think about what I'd enjoy listening to while sweating through a road trip with the windows down or sitting around a fire eating hot dogs or whatever your summer sounds like. Anyway, since I said that last post was gonna be a short one and it was hella long I'm gonna keep this one as short as possible.
-Wrong 'Em Boyo is probably more famous for being covered by the Clash on London Calling than it is in its own right, but it's an awesome song and connects more than a few bridges concerning the legend of Stagger Lee (That link is a great article, for those who've given up on my normally pointless linkage). It's one of the most popular stories in music history, and can probably be counted as a cornerstone to more than a few different types of folklore. Does folklore include Gangsta Rap? Sometimes. This tale definitely is a basis for a great deal of Rocksteady as well.
Anyways, there are no less than 5 different versions of this tale that I could count among my favorite songs of all time. This one would clock in as my 2nd favorite of those.

Wrong 'Em Boyo - The Rulers

This might even be out of print, but I'm sure I got it off some cheap-ass Trojan records comp so I'd search there. I'll change the link if I find it at home tonight.

Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force is... better than you. This song was a good luck charm for awhile, and it was used to mess with Ghost Tours in Savannah for awhile, but it's always been a summer fuckin' jam*.

"Zulu Nation Throwdown" -
Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force

Buy Looking For the Perfect Beat here

The M's are a band from Chicago I don't know enough about. To be honest, I've got no idea where I got this song at all. I'm pretty sure I got it from the board a few days ago, but an hour of searching has left me with nothing. If anyone from the board (or anywhere else for that matter) is here and does figure it out let me know and i owe them a coke. Anyway this song has been in my head since I heard it on the way home on monday night so it's already up there. This is terrible, because I couldn't have had this song for more than a week. I really have to stay on top of listening to the new stuff when i get it.

Never Do This Again - The M's
Buy Future Women here

*"fuckin'" was being used in an exclamatory sense and not a coital one.

incidentally, while creating this post I realized that Badminton Stamps has an eerily similar choice of songs today. This is entirely coincidental. and awesome.

I couldn't emember who Bebop was and who Rocksteady was, so I put both of them at the top.

No comments: