Thursday, July 06, 2006

"Do you have any mortal enemies?"


What an amazing little break. I can’t believe how much fun Pittsburgh was, it’s such a different town than when I last lived there. Or maybe it isn’t, maybe it’s just that everyone I still know there have moved on to more interesting and entertaining things. But I know that’s not it. I went to the same places I usually go, and through sheer fortune got to spend some time another old friend in from New York. So yeah, it was nice. I didn’t see a single firework last night. In fact, I made a point of not even turning my head to look out the window while they were going off. I wish I could say it was out of defiance, that I was reflecting Frederick Douglass’ famous stance on Independence Day, or that I couldn’t find it in my to celebrate my country last night, but for the most part it was just my not caring. Did you see that last movie that George Romero made about zombies (Land of the Dead) where the humans use fireworks to distract the zombies while they ride through towns killing them? I don’t know what that hs to do with anything, but that’s wht I thought of while I sat inside reading while fireworks lit up the sky outside my house last night. Lightning is just more interesting to me, I guess.

I’m gonna post a mix today. It’s a compilation of the mixes I made for the drive last weekend. They didn’t last me the whole trip since, for the fourth or fifth time, I was held up in standstill traffic for an hour and a half. People were getting out of their cars and playing frisbee, walking their dogs, running up an adjacent hill to take a crap… it was aggravating. Even better was that, for the third or fourth time this jam was caused by a flipped RV. It’s always a flipped RV. Do me a favor, if you decide to bring an RV on high-speed trans-commonwealth road, MAKE SURE YOU CAN DRIVE THE DAMNED THING. It’s the capital suck for everyone else when you realize at the last minute you shouldn’t have taken that turn so fast.

The title of this mix is something stupid I shouldn’t have said, but I still think is funny so it stands. I gotta put it on YSI because I don’t have the bandwidth to host this just yet (though I’m hoping to soon). Anywho, have fun with it. I’m gonna post that Paul Westerberg Dylan cover tomorrow because it’s awesome and been in my head for 3 days now.

Most of these songs I’ve managed to pick up from one place or another, many of them blogs and in the case of that Priestess song, Dalen’s blog, which is a lot more up to speed than this thing. Go visit him.

Anyways, here’s the mix:

  1. Thirty Days – Chuck Berry
  2. Talk To Her – Priestess
  3. Scott Pilgrim – Plumtree
  4. A Watched Pot – El Ten Eleven
  5. Young Folks – Peter Bjorn and John
  6. Pushover – The Long Winters
  7. Hang Me Up To Dry – Cold War Kids
  8. Manslaughter – J Rawls feat. Oh No, Dr. Oop, John Robinson, Aloe Blacc, Declaime and Georgia Anne Muldrow
  9. Woman (Avalanches Millstream Remix) – Wolfmother
  10. Positively 4th Street – Paul Westerberg
  11. Do Not Break – Ellen Allien and Apparat
  12. Cold Feelings – Conner
  13. Nefi + GirlyAsobi Seksu
  14. Jellyfish – ghostface Killah
  15. Kate’s Song – The General & Duchess Collins
  16. Last Cans of Paint – Boat
  17. California Pt. 2 – Mason Jennings

64 minutes long.

As you can guess, I’ve still got 5 days worth of emails to catch up on, but I hope you guys like this and somebody let me know if the file expires and I’ll throw a fresh link up.



Oh, and everybody watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia tonight because it's hilarious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A flipped rv!?! That's really funny because I watched an episode of malcom in the middle and they get stuck in traffic for hours because of some accident... anyway, I would say nice mix, but I haven't listened to it yet. Oh, but it's downloaded.

Unknown said...

I hate RVs and everyone in them. At least for another week.