Monday, July 10, 2006

Better Late Than Never



Had a nice weekend, which consisted mostly of buying books and reading them, then heading up to NY for that exhibit and wiffleball brunch. It was a nice time, and got to hang out with some good people, despite ultimately losing the game. I also picked up some awesome stuff at GRNY. Didn’t get home until pretty late last night, with just enough time to watch Lucky Louie and pass the hell out. This morning I woke up to the smell of brewing coffee (that’s right, Cobra-La is automated now) and rolled out of bed to pour myself some and lo and behold, “Tom & Jerry” is on Cartoon Network in the morning! Holy shit that is awesome. I almost never watch TV before dark anymore, but damned if I don’t love some classic cartoons in the morning. It’s seriously a great way to wake up. If I can rig it up to wake me with the smell of coffee AND the sound of cartoons I’d... well, I’d be late for work every damned day. It hadn’t really sunk in to me before this weekend that summer truly is here, probably because of the ludicrous amount of rain we’ve received here in the past month. But that’s over (for now) and it’s officially mid-July. Kick ass, and for that I’m gonna post some more summery music for awhile for anyone that might not be stuck behind a desk all day, starting today with some Stan Getz from his Bossa Nova years. Getz is probably my favorite jazz artist of all time, which probably says a lot about my complete lack of understanding when it comes to Jazz. I love some jazz, but a lot of it sounds to me either so bland that I can’t stay awake long enough to enjoy it or it sounds like rabid dogs fucking on top of a belt sander. Needless to say, Getz falls in neither of these categories, though I’ve been told it was “elevator shit” when I played it recently. To me this period of work (where he was working with, among others: Charlie Byrd, Antonio Carlos Jobim, João Gilberto, and Astrud Gilberto). Is the most relaxing, beer-on-a-hammock music ever recorded. Seriously, it just screams of warm weather and total contentedness. I like to think that if somebody had played this for me 10 years ago I’d appreciate it, but I’m sure I’d say it sounds like bad cocktail party music or far far worse. But as I listen to it now it just makes a little later.

Desafinado - Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd

Balanca No Samba (Street Dance) - Getz/Gilberto

Eu E Voce (Me and You) - Getz/Gilberto

Buy Jazz Samba (probably the highlight of these sessions) here



it always cracks me up when I think about how tame this music sounds with today's ears, but that it was what all the drug addicts listened to in the early sixties.

No comments: