Thursday, July 20, 2006

bears bears bears bears


Quick post today, because I'm ducking out early to go to the zoo. Not just any trip to the zoo, mind you , but a trip to the zoo after it has closed and with open bars set up all over the place. It sounds pretty neat, but chances are I'll end up downing vodka tonics and hanging out watching the polar bears. Those guys are so depressing, they're just in sweltering heat and wondering how many kids they'd need to maul before being put down by the state. The last timeI was there the one polar bear just sat hunched over, staring at the strong electrical wires that separate him from the black bears across the way. I wish I was making this up. Actually, no, I don't.
Needless to say, I'm gon' be taking some pictures of monkeys. I'll try to send one here, but that only seems to work like 1 time out of six. Nonetheless, I'll try.

This song is probably my favorite effort ever by both of the artists involved here. It's a story about the jungle with filthy language and a bad little monkey. Which is my favorite kind. Who likes a well-behaved monkey? Shit, what''s the point?

"The Criminal Inside Me" - R.L. Burnside with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Buy Ass Pocket of Whiskey here

and here's a bunch of animal-themed songs. Well, they're not really about animals as much as they are about sex. and hockey.

"Bear Cat (The Answer to Hound Dog)" - Rufus Thomas
Buy Do the Funky Somethin' here

"Hey Mama Wolf" - Devendra Banhart

Buy Cripple Crow here

"Hockey Monkey" - James Kochalka & the Zambonis
Buy Monkey Vs. Robot here

expect some quality thoughts when I get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that R.L. Burnside song is awesome.