Saturday, November 18, 2006

a not so quick note.

had a fire going all night, a bottle of wine, and I got to watch that Minutemen doc I've been putting off for a while. It was incredible, and I already know I'm gonna listen to them all day tomorrow. There are just so many things about that band that continue to impress me, and this movie reminded me of all of them. A curious note, though: is it me or is every single one of those founding fathers of the LA punk scene now hippies, nerds, hoboes or John Doe?
I just watched the Bill Maher show. I don't really go out of my way to watch this normally for a few reasons, not the least of which being that I tend to get really annoyed by Maher's smug tone and propensity for shitheel comments. But I happened across it a few minutes ago and overheard Tom Morello say that he was appalled that people weren't in the streets with pitchforks. I should preface this with the fact that Tom Morello was responsible for me reading several books in high school that I would've never picked up otherwise, but I was sort of jarred by this statement. I mean, I at least hope to think that fo a large part, American society for has learned something from the nonviolent protests that were so instrumental for people like Gandhi and Dr. King. I'm sure this isn't close to true, but I like to think that there's little hope stemming from a violent conflict when about half of the country at least believes that they firmly support the actions of those who are in power. Call me an idealist, but I still think that this is the proper outlet to air my grievances. I don't think that it's working largely because of a) the suppression of dissent that the current state of affairs lends itself to, and b) the refusal of the mainstream American media to report said grievances. Not mine in particular, but let's face it; I am not a radical. I think that there's a sizable portion of the country that doesn't want to see a country that can't afford medical coverage or that suspends the writ of habeas corpus. The elections have proved that the majority of us oppose the need for waging unnecessary wars. But still, there is a sizable portion of people that feel otherwise. This is a harder issue than that which Mandela turned to violence against. There isn't a side here as morally reprehensible as the racism that applied to South Africa, only the tactics which are used. I can understand wanting to secure our borders. I cannot find fault the mindset that wants our enemies abroud quelled. But I do not agree with attacking these problems like a third grader with a clubhouse or eying up bag lunches. Everyone needs a voice, no matter how ridiculous. and the consensus can vote on it. I should be afforded the same rights as Kraft foods or ExxonMobil, right?
I don't know, I don't mean to rant like this, it's just some thoughts. Since I started writing this, I've been watching this interesting old movie that I first heard about a few years ago and am kinda digging, so I might have lost my steam a bit. Please apologize any pretension or typos that might've been contained within.
Anyways, the main reason why I logged on 28 minutes ago was to point out that Patton Oswalt has just discovered a sheer point of hilaritythat I can legitimately say I've known abut for years. and it is every bit as hilarious as he described it. I still consider that DVD the greatest free thing I've ever received. Unless you coun t love and respect and that shit.

Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Music

No comments: