Sunday, November 05, 2006

Election Fever.


So it was a pretty tame weekend, though I missed Hot Chip and bowling, it was still nice and simple. Right now it's just dark and freezing at Cobra-La, and I'm stumbling around th eplace, watching kung fu and listening to a mix I made for myself on thursday. In all I can't complain, except for the heat. I had a fiew going for about 6 hours but the wood is gone and the embers are cold. I hate buying those little baggies of wood so much, but it's not like I have much choice. Outside, the campaign sign street war continues unabated. I just want this election to come and pass already. I know it's gonna get late and fingers will be pointed long before the polls are in, and I'm going to stay up until 4 watching it like a goofball. I guess it'll be nice to get to go see Borat to help curb my post-election disappointment. Because there will be, I'm sure. I wanted to go see it over the weekend, but I've been told my a few people that the entire theater is laughing so hard that you can't even hear what's goin on. Which sounds pretty intense, right? Tonight's songs might well have been clled from the imaginary mixtape called "middle college years". It would consist largely of what I listened to while working as a book courier and plant waterer. and the drive between them. It's something I've been stumbling over quite a bit lately. I go in and out of these music funks where I really don't listen to any music for a week or maybe a little more, but I'm starting to attribute a lot of this to how and where I'm listening to it. At the desk during the slower hours of work, when making dinner or doing some chore or another, and when going to sleep. Most of my car listening is the news or NPR or something, which I never did until recently. At first if was just nice to get sort of caught up as I roll out of bed and into the car. I guess part of me thought it was a distinguishing trait, but I think I keep doing it because it invariably gives me something I can bring up in conversation throughout the day. Sometimes it's sort of broad and I can drop it on anyone. "You hear it's supposed to go down to 40 today?" Sometimes it can be downright morbid: "Hey, did you hear about the FC Barcelona guy that just threw himself in front of a train?" and so on. But the thing is that I don't have any long stretches of driving that I do alone anymore. For years and years, driving around probably occupied about 30% of my waking time. I drove everywhere for years and years, and I suspect that those long, late hours -of driving around, and getting lost just to find our way home again, and sometimes just for the change of scenery- did more to guide my musical tastes than anything else in my life except perhaps puberty. Hours of carefree music exploration on the open road turned into npr in rush hour. Man, that's depressing. But lately what I've been doing, see, is I make myself a mix as kind of a last minute thing as I leave the office on my way for my weekend to start. It's a great time to make a mix, really, because it puts you in the best of spirits. You can't wait to get in the car, traffic or not, highway bandits or not, you've at least got something to be considered as entertainment. and by the end of the weekend I've gone through it and gotten something out of it. Plus, for the second week I got to cruise in the back way into the city and pull right into the skyline as the Jesus and Mary Chain start beating the crap out of my car's speakers. Awesome. But another thing I'm going to work on is having more spontaneous car time. You know, global warming is pretty cool and all, but there's more than that. It's also by personal, mobile listening booth. Think about it. I wasn't kidding about these songs being staples of 98-99 and were on a succession of my Pittsburgh driving tapes. The first one might be the best drive-dancing songs of the last 15 years. The second is a fan-damme-tastic Sunday morning tune. and I should know. Because it's 5:00 on a Sunday morning. nice.

"Lady Don't Tek No" - Latyrx Buy Solesides Greatest Bumps here

"Emperors Main Course" - Kid Koala
Buy Xen Cuts here. sorry gang I'll come back nest time with simething either much more recent or much, much older. exciting, no?

No comments: