Wednesday, November 15, 2006

living myself to kill

Another shitty morning. I'm trying to correlate all these notes from doctors and none of them make any sense at all. Have you ever had a discussion with someone (or even worse, an argument) who doesn't listen to a thing you say, only reiterating the same 4 or 5 points over and over in response to whatever you say or however the dialogue progresses? Yeah, imagine scheduling a conference call with 4 of these guys. Oh, and give them all an overwhelming sense of entitlement and you've got my afternoon. I can't even start on the stuff I mentioned yesterday, lest I start freaking out. In interesting news, though, Rummy might never be able to go to Germany again, which, pathetically enough, is the best we can do against potential war criminals anymore. Speaking of war criminals, Henry Kissinger is an honorary Harlem Globetrotter? NO FUCKING WAY. That's possibly the most insane thing I've ever heard.
I've been thinking a lot about the voting machine controversy and how, if the GOP had picked up this election, there'd most definitely be a lot more outrage and coverage of the problems encountered. Kinda makes you wonder if this electtion was a throwaway and they were just trying to convince the American public that the Machines are okay. In any case, things weren't as smooth as you've probably been hearing. There's a great article about this at Alternet that I'm too busy to plagiarize right here.
Edwards and Obama just don't know Wal*Mart well enough. Yeah, that's their problem. Oh, and the best Onion article in months(and a Chuck Klosterman interview!). Souvenirs put to good use.

Mississippi Fred McDowell is one of those blues guys that seems to transmit a weary understanding of the world with such a sparse sound (sometimes little more than half a drum beat, some harp, and his own meandering slide guitar, usually a lot less) that, like John Lee Hooker, you just tend to take their word for it. These tracks from from what might be his most popular album I Do not Play No Rock 'n' Roll, and mark the first time he recorded on an electric guitar. His influence is still pretty strong in the blues (take a loot at the entirety of the original Fat Possum roster for starters) and deservedly so. Anyways, here's some songs:

"The Train I Ride" - Mississippi Fred McDowell
"My Baby She Gonna Jump and Shout" - Mississippi Fred McDowell
"61 Highway" - Mississippi Fred McDowell
Buy I Do Not Play No Rock 'n' Roll here.

Got dinner tonight with one of my favorite families ever. I'm gonna try to make a relavent post (not just links and songs) sometime this week, but the shit is pretty packed for the rest of it so this might have to wait until sat. We'll see.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Difficult people are such douches. I hope things get better.


ps. - I completly tore this blogger idea out your book.