Friday, November 17, 2006

I got the feeling


So when I got home last night, the power was out. This isn't exactly shocking, considering how hard it was raining and the fact that Cobra-La is wired into a power grid that runs on a single D battery. So yeah, that kinda sucked. I had just bought all this bread and cheese and stuff, too. So instead of making a grilled cheese sandwich like I wanted to, I did what any reasonable person would do when facing a power outage. I started a giand fire and cooked some pizza in my fireplace. In retrospect, I probably should've just tried making that grilled cheese after all, because the pizza sucked. It was warm, though.
I've been watching these guys across the street from where I work trying to set up this giant christmas tree for about 4 hours now. It's actually been one of the most hilarious things I've seen in awhile, because they'vetaken about 20 cigarette and potato chip breaks, and the thing is really no better off now than it was when I got here at 9:15. The only noticable difference, really, is that there's more empty bags of chips in the street and fewer people. Normally, I'm a huge opponent of this pre-emptive celebration of the holidays, because it really just prolongs the amount of time people are reminded about the shitty aspects of the season. I think this should all be held off until 1 week before christmas, at which point everyone can launch into a tighter, more concentrated bust of holiday spirit. Wouldn't that be nicer? Wouldn't it be great if I could go a year without having Tim Allen or Matthew Broderick or whoever not fucking annoy me to the point of jabbing at my brain with a darning needle? I think if elected to any sort of position of power, that'd be my first item of business. I mean it's not like people can't buy the presents and wait in line like a psycho for 11 hours buying their kids a present they'll have broken or forgotten about a month later. I just think we should hold off on the decorations and annoying santa hats and shit. Oh, and for the love of god, why not delay the christmas specials until December? Oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of them. Probably because they're mostly cartoons or whatever (It's a Wonderful Life = BLOWS. Sorry Jimmy), but I'm a sucker for the Charlie Browns, the Grinches, the Fat Alberts, and of course the greatest christmas special ever: Claymation. Hell, I'll even go for the Heathcliff chrismas special or even the Rudolph one (which to this day gives me the creeps for some reason; probably the inherently coked-up nature of Yukon Cornelius or the fact that herbie the elf is the worst character ever comitted to stop motion animation). But I don't ever get to see this shit. Because they show them all on the night after Thanksgiving. what kind of wrongheaded shit is that?
Wow. I had no idea I had that much of a rant in me. Well, maybe I did because I make the same one every year, but still I had an entirely different topic to write about. Oh well.
Anyhow, since it's friday and even though I'm planning on the quietest, relaxing weekend possible, I figure some of you are probably ready to fucking party. Who am I kidding, I'll probably end up at the bar without even realizing how I got there. I'll have sleepwalked (sleptwalked?) to the bar. Is there a past tense to sleepwak? So here's some James Brown to put you on that way. and yes, I know that that James Brown video has been done to death, but I still laugh (and mourn) a little every time I see it. Just stay away from the man's bathroom.

"Night Train" - James Brown
"Let Yourself Go" [unedited version] - James Brown
"Bring It Up (Hipster's Avenue)"[unedited version] - James Brown

Buy Star Time here.
you know what I really hate right know? Is eating an apple that has one tiny nasty spot that you try to eat around, but end up getting anyway.

Ever wonder what it would be like if Hunter S. Thompson was still alive, more threatening, and a newspaper reporter in the future? Go check out the first issue of Transmetro for free to find out what Spider Jerusalem's all about.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I once tried to cook a bagel in the fire place with a stick. It was AWFUL.