Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day of the Dead


ah yes, Dia De Los Muertos. I know I've harped on and on about this holiday elsewhere (though I honestly can't remember where or I'd link it here), but it's just such an amazing tradition. To celebrate the lives of the deceased rather than mourn their deaths. To remember them in earnest rather than dedicate our rear windshields (sigh) or whatever to them. Did you know that in some Mexican towns people spend the night next to the graves of their relatives? That's hardcore. In any case, stop and think of a loved one today.
There's a big special on HBO tonight about how easily it it so manipulate the electronic voting machines. This is something that has bothered me for awhile, but after hearing Karl Rove smirk his way through an interview on NPR the other night, I'm convinced this this is a very real threat. That it's totally possible to steal an election is terrifying enough, but when you think about who owns the companies that make these machines, we're all really fucked. It doesn't matter what or who you're voting for, the whole point is to be heard. Just thinking about how ugly this election is going to get, and mark my words, it will be filthy, I don't know why anything about this government can surprise me anymore. But then there you have it.
So yeah, here's some songs to remember the dead with.

"Funeral Song" - Bulawayo Church Choir
"Rest in Peace" - Beasts of Bourbon
Buy Dead & Gone #2: Totenleider - Songs of Death here

and, because I love The Wire so damned much,
"Body of an American" - The Pogues

No comments: