Friday, May 05, 2006

Zaragoza!

I woke up this morning with a hangover that could SPLIT ATOMS, I tell you. But two vitamin waters and a cup of coffee, later, I’d broken free of it’s nausea-inducing clutches and was driving to work. Brendan Benson’s “Tiny Spark” came on the radio, and I decided to take the longer, leafier way to work even though I was already 20 minutes late. There’s such in inherent difference between taking the 2 lane power route to work and driving through little neghborhoods with parks and lawns and shit. It was sweet. I think on my way home I might get intentionally lost and enjoy it even more. I’m supposed to have some beers with my neighbors and hit a party tonight, so it’ll be good to get some fresh air. In the car.
Cinqo de Mayo. Someone totally called me on my bullshit yesterday and pointed out that how can I support this holiday but hate St. Patrick’s day with such a vengeance. And I thought about this for awhile, and it’s totally true. The celebration of Cinqo de Mayo in this country is just as (if not moreso) as backards and retarded as a reason to drink, but at least it’s celebrated the same way in Mexico, you know? The only people in Ireland that are puking green beer and streaking through the streets are the people that aren’t Irish. I heard someone on the radio this morning say they were so excited to party tonight, but didn’t really know what Cinqo de Mayo was celebrating. Seriously. If you’re going to get drunk for a reason, especially a reason that people died for, at least try to get some homework done. We’re celebrating the defeat of the larger, better equipped French forces at the town of Puebla, near Mexico City. So go out and buy yourself a Negra Modelo, on me.
Last night, in something of a stupor, I rediscovered a song that I hadn’t heard in about about 8 years. It’s forever linked in my mind to one specific person, a girl who I was madly in love with when I first came aross it. I put it on tapes for her and we danced to it all the time. Of course, I didn’t really pay too much attention to the words until it had more or less become our song, at which point I realized that it’s also a song about not beating your woman. Which doesn’t detract anything from it (Seriously, who’s gonna record a song endorsing spousal abuse?), but it just kind of tilted my appreciation a bit. Much like when I realized that “Fake Plastic Trees” was about boob jobs. Whatever, I lie what I like, and this song is definitely something I like. It’s two giants of the blues world trading off with each other, and some totally random audience participation. My favorite part is the end when they get the crowd singing, and you can tell that some of these people totally think they should be onstage, and I don’t know, perhaps they do. Also, Bobby “Blue” Bland actually sings all of his dialogue and stage banter, which is fucking awesome.
My absolute favorite part is the end of the song when they “go to church with ‘em” and they just slam it home.

I'm also gonna post "Tiny Spark", since it totally saved my morning. I consider it something of a Shagtunes anthem.

I’m trying to figure out a way to host these songs for a more long-term thing, but I’m a retard and can’t quite figure out how that’s done. Someone let me know. For now, though, these YSI links are gonna have to suffice. If they expire and you still want the songs, just let me know and I can do it again.

That’s it for me, maybe I’ll post a drunken rant later.


"Tiny Spark" - Brendan Benson

"I Like to Live the Love" - B.B. King and Bobby "Blue" Bland



I just got back from lunch (spicy-ass fajitas) and am about to fall into a food coma. boo.

No comments: