Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Stir of Ekos


This morning I woke up after one of those weirdass dreams where you're sure it was real, and you actually spend time thinking "seriously, how did I end up in bed?" In true idiot's fashion, I promply forgot every part of the dream except that at some point I exclaimed "I knew it! I knew we were in Tacoma, WA!" Don't ask me how I knew or even what the hell I was doing there, but there I wasn't.
It's a busy-ass day today, so I'm just gonna throw an extra song up today and hope that's enough. 2 quick notes:
1)TV in Japan is my new favorite website

2)The season finale of lost is on tonight. It's 2 hours long and I'm totally counting -nay, depending- on having my mind blown clean out the back of my skull. Oh yes, it better be that good.

So today's songs are kind of all over the place, but here's some back story:
In 1992 or whatever year the film Backbeat came out, people were freaking out at the supergroup (featuring a veritable who's who of the alt. rock universe at the time) that was assembled to play a bunch of the covers that were played by the Beatles in their early Hamburg days. I remember it as being received that highly, and I bought it off ebay for $2 last week. The thing is though, It's still a bunch of guys taking a break and playing some of the greatest songs ever written and having a blast doing it. Well, maybe not Don Fleming, I seem to remember he was disgrunteld about not being able to sing the John Lennon parts or something. Anyway, it's probably more of a driving song than a grilling song, but it's my mix so shut up. On a side note I always forget that Mike Mills from R.E.M. sang this track. Remember, this is circa "Shiny Happy People", and it was so hard for me not to think of how hopelessly nerdy he was in that era, and here he is singing with the strut and swagger of a total badass. Good for him.

"Roadrunner" - the Backbeat band (YSI link)

But the Backbeat OST here

Do Ineed to explain the next song? I shouldn't. Anyways, it reminds me of living in Maryland for some odd reason. Probably the fish fry thing.

"Saturday Night Fish Fry" - Louis Jordan & his Tympany Five (YSI link)

Buy The Best of Louis Jordan here

and here's a Lily Allen track, since I made a habit ofmentioning her here a few weeks ago. This song really makes me look forward to summer.

"LDN" - Lily Allen (YSI link)

Listen to more stuff of hers here

Tomorrow: the Hip Hop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am I a total nerd because I read every post excitedly, or because I look forword to it almost everyday? Not that your posts are nerdy or anything. Wait.. This came out wrong.. all wrong.