Friday, May 19, 2006

Music To Grill By


Well, I’m not even sure what to write about today. I woke up with several ideas, but they’ve been changing, along with the weather, every fifteen minutes. At some point I decided “I’m going to write about the forst 2 songs that pop up on my ipod. Which in theory was a pretty good idea.
Well, it wasn’t. The first 2 songs (“Sorry” by the Paddingtons and “I Hate I Walked Away” by Syl Johnson) were both songs I just put on mixes for people a few months ago, and I’m trying not to repeat myself just so early in this game. So the next song after that was “Do You Believe in the Rapture” by Sonic Youth. Which is awesome, but not released yet, and that’s not really fair either. This went on for about twenty minutes before I gave up and decded to put up some failsafe grilling music, since that’s what my plans entail for the evening.
Then it started raining.
And now it’s sunny again. The point is, I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore.

Some things I do know, however:
1) I love to grill, and the greatest album ever made for grilling is the live James Brown show from the Olympia in Paris, 1972. This is probably the greatest album ever to do anything, but we’ll start with grilling.
2) I can buy Vat 69 right over the border in Delaware. Field trip after work.
3) This Beth Orton track is remized by Four Tet. The overall result is an eleven minute song that feels like a 4 minute song, and embodies a lot of what I think Summer is in the Winter. Does that make sense? When it’s freexing cold out and wintery and you’re hoofing it over snow dunes, you think of Summer, and it’s this blinding sun (even though the sun is just as blinding if not moreso in the snow), a girl in a dress, and a lot of green, green grass. This either was lifted completely from a shot of Lux in The Virgin suicides movie, or an eerily similar presentation. Anyways, this song is a pretty great parallel to that feeling, and I think of throwing the disc around, grilling with friends, and having 19 beers.
4)This Grandaddy song is the only song of theirs I couldn’t delete off my ipod during the great Grandaddy purge of early 2005. I still can’t get rid of it because it’s such a warm track and reminds me of being in college despite the fact that I never heard this song until I was out of college and I wasn’t a science major like the protagonist in this song. Nonetheless, it’s a nice little tune, and it makes me think of living in Savannah. On an interesting sidenote, every time I hear the intro to that Moby song “We Are All Made of Stars”, I think it’s this song by mistake.
5)This song I drudged up out of my surprisingly exhaustive collection of turntablism that I amassed in the late 90s. Lots of stuff has gone missing, including most of the imported stuff I got at the time, but my trusty Bomb Hip Hop 4 disc collection rmains in my collection, barely listened to since the day I bought it (I had most of the tracks I wanted off it and I was already getting sick of the genre as a whole). One of the few people that I listened to a lot of back then that still manage to blow me away is DJ Radar. While his partner Z-Trip has been hamming it up at Maxim parties and hanging out with Paul Oakenfold, Radar has been laying low, pretty much disappearing since creating a written notation for turntablism and performing a concerto with the ASU orchestra. I think this guy has one of the most distinct sounds ever, and I’m still waiting for him to drop some new recording to blow everyone away.

“Carmella” (Fout Tet Remix) – Beth Orton (YSI link)

buy The Other Side of Daybreak here

“Our Dying Brains” (live) – Grandaddy (YSI link)

buy Just Like the Fambly Cat here

“Private Parts” – Z-Trip and Radar (YSI link)


buy the Bomb Anniversary Collection here

Thatis it for me today, I'm off to Delaware. Somebody drop me a line of something if these links don't work...

No comments: