Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Things I've appreciated in the past week:
-The way Albert King wrings notes out of his Flying V
-Liz Lemon saying "blurg" in "30 Rock"
-the lizard I probably killed by "setting free" of the window sill I found it in on Saturday
-The life-sized cutout of Tommy "Tiny" Lister in the BBQ place we found yesterday. Apparently he endorses them.
-Pixar's For the Birds
-finding out that my sister has a blog that she sent everyone in my family (including my wife) a link to but me.
-Earl Hooker just being his own bad self
-Judd Winick's Green Arrow/Black Canary, #4. Watching Oliver Queen, who has become one of my favorite characters in recent memory, fall apart at the loss of his only son, then force himself to let his friends help him take care of things. It's hard to explain, but it was spectacularly done.
-The E Street Band, circa 1976-79, Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.
-City desk editor Gus Haynes in the final season of The Wire. I'm just sad they didn't introduce his character sooner.
-Re-listening to the Replacements compilation All for Nothing/Nothing for All. I got the recent "oral history" of the 'Mats, and I'm just excited to start reading it.
-Watching four crows gang up on a Cooper's Hawk while at the park throwing a frisbee around. It was almost painful to watch as they dove and pecked at his head, but he persevered and eventually the crows gave up in search of an easier meal. Less than a half mile away, there was a vintage air show. P-47s and P-51s were looping around, cutting their engines midair and going on mock strafing runs, while we stood completely still, holding the disc at my side, staring straight up into the sky at some birds.
-An Apricot Pinwheel at Some Crust
-Rube goldberg machines at Oobject. made my week.

1 comment:

Torrey said...

It's a girlie blog cots, not to mention I was trying to avoid the total asault and ridicule I would inevitably receive from the bros