Sunday, August 03, 2008

I was walking down the street today and lying there, next to an auto body place -I wish I'd thought to take a picture of this- was a pair of sneakers and someone's clothes. Laid out like that and everything. It was sort of unsettling, for a minute I was thinking that someone was probably just walking down the street and boom. Spontaneous combustion. How neat would that be? I'm not going to even pretend to know stuff about spontaneous human combustion, and frankly, I don't want to*. But I do like the idea of a guy just zapping out in front of you as you walk down the street. Maybe a really bewildered-looking dog, its leash untethered, trying to figure out what the hell to do now. Or maybe you, the passerby, would be showered with burning chunks of fatty tissue. Actually, that would pretty much suck. I can think of few punishments worse than that.
Oh, and someone would die.
So maybe neat isn't the best word to use.
but still, it'd be a pretty wild site.
Later I figured out that of course nobody combusted on my street. It was some kids that stole somebody's clothes at the community pool a few blocks away and ran off with them and threw them in the street. So yeah, no combustion.
Still, it was a pretty neat scene.

*I actually started to look it up, and then realized I definitely prefer my own idea of how something like that would happen over the quasi-established methods of human combustion.

No comments: