Monday, March 16, 2009

Forgotten exchange from the other night:

This occurred over the course of about 20 minutes late on Saturday night, while I was with a group in an outdoor area of a bar/bbq place in the midst of a pretty busy night. The streets were pretty crowded with arty people and seemingly drunk teens. I'm not making any of this up.

Man in his late 30s runs up to the fence, clearly under the influence of drugs, probably meth, and looking pretty destitute. His clothes are filthy, his beard looks like he poured motor oil into it, and he's got lots of missing teeth. He doesn't really appear to have anything else to do, so he's shouting at passerby, a longstanding meth tradition. My group and I are about 15 yards away, on the other side of a fence and having an animated discussion about South American parasites.
Man (to nobody in particular): "The West coast is the beeeeest!"
(everyone within earshot ignores him)
Man (still, to nobody): "Fuck that East coast shit!"
(at this point I sort of turn around, smiling. Apparently not patronizing enough, since he takes this as an invitation to continue, which I try to ignore. 5 minutes of him yelling shit ensues).
Man: "Yeeaaaaah, man!"
(after awhile, he comes up to the fence and starts yelling "hey!" until someone turns around. Again, I'm the sucker).
Man (pointing across a crowded intersection to a line of people waiting to get into a club or a bar or something): "Do you know what's going on over there?"
Me: "Um, not quite sure"
(then, being the idiot that I am, I add to it)
Me: "Probably some of those East Coast assholes!"
Man (suddenly excited): "Hey buddy, where are you from?"
Me: "Um, Outside Philadelphia"
Man: "Let me ask you a question. How come in Bufa- Buffalo, New York, there are methamphetamines, but in Philadelphia, there is none?"
(I pause at the question, not sure if there's a punchline he's going to spring on me).
I should remind you that this conversation is literally being shouted on a very busy intersection, with cops all over the place.
Me: "Um... Philly's more of a crack town?"
Man: "It's bullshit..."
(man trails off, eventually seeing something else to shout at and walking out of my plane of vision and raising his voice)
Things kind of devolved from there, but I just had to write it down, I'm still not sure why. It wasn't that funny, or interesting, or even that strange, sadly enough. It was just...something that happened.

No comments: