Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cameraphone Action!

My day sucked with five blades, so on the way home I stopped and did donuts in not one but three parking lots. I catch a lot of shit for this, but it's one of the best stress relievers imaginable. Another one of those occasions where the infinitely juvenile and stupid can be the greatest course of all.

Anyway, speaking of stress relief behind the wheel, last weekend I got to make one of my favorite drives of all time. I had to drive to Betterton for a few reasons, but none of them all that important. I think in the end I made the drive because I really, really felt lik it. It was one of those things where I stopped and realized that I hadn't in the longest time just driven soemwhere for the sake of driving. Sometimes I'll make a detour or go the long way home in a good mood, but I hadn't just driven around in a long time. And what better drive to make than that one; The first hour is spent on one of the busiest highways in the country* and the second is on the backroads. It's that perfect balance of excitement and mind-numbing tranquility. It used to be more backroads than anything, but sprawl has lessened the efect of it somewhat over recent years.

Regardless, I can drive it in my sleep. I loaded up a bunch of CDs and picked up a few gallons of coffee and I was on my way.

This is a haunted amusement park that lies just over my favorite bridge ever. I just like driving past it. Especially when it's out of season.

I'd spent the morming candle shopping and watching a History Channel special on Fort Knox. In it they pointed out that the Fort used to be behind sprawling rows of trees for cover, they cut them all down years ago with the more offensive mindset of not allowing cover for any advancing party. I operate under the assumption that that guy has the same idea.

When I got to Betterton and went straight to the beach. The water had a layer of ice over it and there were teenagers playing on it but they were too far away to get a good picture of it. I'm pretty sure one if not both of them feel into the water.

By the time I was coming back near Wilmington, the sun was setting. and my windows were filthy.

So that's what I managed to get pictures of. I managed to not get one good shot of a massive flock of snow geese that blanketed one of the empty cornfield. and the nuclear reactor from atop the bridge. But that's what I can reach for next time.

*While I was thinking about I-95 I wanted to see how heavily exactly it is travelled before describing it and I got to find out why she's such an irritating bitch near me. Then I started checking out classic Pennsylvania road photos and this crap and well, you can see why my posting is so erratic.

and now some Willie Nelson demos. I guess it's a given for most people that Willie is an icon for lots of outlaw cowboy and pro-marijuana folks, but I guess I never really paid atention to his music because until I was 18 or so the only song of his that I knew was "You Were Always On My Mind", which sucks. It was only later I found out that he was a cornerstone of a genre, and a founding father of the elite paramilitary force known as THIE HIGHWAYMEN. Here he is recording some demos that all went on to become classics.

"Things to Remember" (demo) - Willie Nelson

"Crazy" (demo) - Willie Nelson

"I Gotta Get Drunk" (demo) - Willie Nelson


It sounds strange, but over time I've grown to prefer these to their more widely known versions.

No comments: