Saturday, February 20, 2010

No Snow in Hollywood

Remember how I was gonna make all these big changes after post 1000? Well, I'm at 1,005 right now (though this program counts drafts, so I'm almost certainly still below that), and I still haven't changed anything. 

It isn't like I haven't thought about it. and I'm still planing on changing the title and location of this whole thing sooner than later, but I've just been busy as hell wrapping up grad school and trying to maintain a life and everything to really implement most of these changes. But I'm working on it. A dear friend just found a veritable tinmine in the form of old stories and writings of mine, and as I was reading through them last night, I realized that I really should be writing more. I though I would be cringing all through these, but they were better than I remembered. Well, a lot was still crap, but there were ideas there that I really should play around with some more. Perhaps I'll post some of that here. First, I should probably get through my school stuff, since I'm not taking loans out on the premise of finishing decade-old short stories of mine. 

HOWEVER. 

This morning, I finally put together that mix I've been talking about. I've had most of this thing settled for at least a month, but it really finally rounded out in the past week. We cover three languages here, with a lot of wailing soul and some lighter stuff spread throughout. 

The title comes from a Frank O'Hara poem, which is in the middle here. You can delete it if you want (the sound quality is terrible), but give it least a listen. Anyway, it's more of a lamentation than a boast about the lack of snow in California. The cover photo is something I found on riotclitshave some time back. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it:

No Snow in Hollywood


1. Intro
2. "Big Kids Don't Play" - Grand Puba
3. "Be Love, Be Wild" - We All Have Hooks For Hands
4. "Don't Haunt This Place" - The Rural Alberta Advantage
5. "New Religion" - Bad Weather California
6. "You're Wondering Now" - Andy & Joe
7. "Solaar in the Country" - DJ Zebra
8. I Don't Care
9. "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again" - The Angels
10. "Hold You Back" - JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound
11. "Cry To Me" - Betty Harris
12. Lana Turner Has Collapsed - Frank O'Hara
13. "A Mother's Love" - Earl King
14. "Cancion Para Mi Padre" - Sally Timms
15. "Nobody" - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson
16. "Know What I Mean" - Freeway & Jake One
17. That's the Thing about Chinese Death Stars...
18. "I Don't Want to Party (Party) - Philadelphia Grand Jury
19. "Jackie Wood" - Box Elders
20. "Need Your Love" - Michael & the Mumbles
21. "Bow Down and Die" - The Almighty Defenders
22. "C'mon" - The Soft Pack
22. "There Goes a Girl" - Johnny Truitt
23. Give some back

Edit: somebody has now reported this page TWICE for violation of the DMCA, so I've taken down the link. I'd ask that the offended party contact me and I'll gladly remove the offending material instead of them complaining to Google.

Anyway, if you would like to check the mix out, just email me and I will sent you novelty replica files that may sound uncannily like the mix.

edit: I just realized that the last track was on my last mix. Whoops. I still really like it, for what it's worth.

3 comments:

Chase said...

i downloaded this! some of these jams are really quirky. how old is this JC Brooks song?

Unknown said...

I wanna say early 2009?

Chase said...

i'll bet its that Zebra track, Canned Heat ain't no joke!