Sunday, May 06, 2007

Bad idea Jeans and some horror movie staples


As I type this, it is 3:42 in the morning and I just started watching Friday the 13th, Part 2 without any warning or reason. I think it might be because I'm not drunk enough to fall asleep and I'm not awake enough to get anything written. I find myself astonished, though, with the term "frightened retard" being applied to Jason, as well as the b-horror staples that run through this movie:
-The kid with the hat and/or wacky hair. To be fair, I'd say the zenith of ridiculous horror movies with little to no production values was in the late 70s/early 80s; when pretty much everyone had wacky hair. But he's got that "I'ma tell some jokes!" vibe going and you know in your gut that he will be a wacky funster. also, that his jokes will tire in seconds and he will die a terrible death 45 minutes into the film.
-The guy in the wheelchair! I feel like people in wheelchairs are well represented in the genre, which is nice. But at a summer camp? I went to a summer camp 10 years and I honestly can't think of much that anyone in a wheelchair would want to do, let alone attend a summer camp for. I mean, macramé is fun and all, but for weeks at a time?*
-a character (often one that lives through the movie) stumbling onto the killer's hiding spot for all the bodies. Sometimes, they've been arranged so that if someone opens a closet door the stiff just falls through right on to them. If you're really lucky, this can happen 3-4 times in a row and it's almost like a fun ride. Extra points for every second they're pinned down by multiple bodies on a urine-soaked dirt floor.
-the chick with the slammin' body that will probably sleep with/die before the aforementioned jokester.
-the complete lack of children. Isn't this a summer camp? Why are there never kids at these camps? Probably because no fucking parent in their right mind is going to send their kids to "Camp Blood".
-the knife-cam shot. Last seen in the first Halloween movie. You know, to get the knife's point of view.

Anyway, it's now a day and a half later and I've been google image-searching for the past hour at work, so I gotta go. This song is from the Dischord box set, which you should already own.

"People are Wrong" - Severin

Buy 20 Years of Dischord here

I do just want to point out just how creepy Jason looked before they had his head shaved and put in a hockey mask for the third movie:

YOWZAH! This is definitive proof that long hair and a bear makes EVERYTHING creepier. and overalls. In fact, especially overalls.


* upon further thinking, there was also a kid in a wheelchair at a summer camp in Meatballs II**, as depressing as it it that I know this. He's still nowhere near as the serial killer in Hellroller. That's right. Look it up.
**IMDB lists the kid in Meatballs II as Tommy 'Wheelchair' McVee. Are you fucking kidding me? Why not call him Tommy "Can't run" McVee? Assholes! Even the D&D nerd from Nightmare on Elm Street 3 didn't have that kind of hassle***.
***I just realized that my previous comments might appear insensitive to someone in a wheelchair. I can assure you that this is not the case, as I'm the most rabid enforcer of handicapped parking you've ever seen. and I still stand by "Downs Syndrome doesn't get you a better spot unless you have more than two in the car" rule. In any case, I apologize, not harm meant.

No comments: