Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's Like a Koala Crapped Rainbows Into Your Brain


So I know my post from last night was depressing at best, but don't even fret because I'm storming into this bitch like the goddamned sunshine brigade to brighten your day. I'm like a care bear with a drinking problem! I woke up this morning, you see, and it was pouring. It was raining harder than I can remember in the past few years, and I didn't really want to get out of bed. But a) I wanted to see how Vonnegut's death was reported in the media and b) I have a job and whatnot.
So I trudged through the rain and and panicky drivers and plopped my ass at my desk. Of course, Vonnegut's death is a side note to the Imus firing (which makes me cringe in regard to last night's post even more. I should delete this shit), and I should've just stopped at the obit I read last night.
So yeah, any day that starts out like this needs some amusement. So I present to you the best clip of Japanese people EVER. Cosplay has always weirded me out to some degree, but this totally makes it right in my book. Even the way they scatter when the little people arrive is just outright adorable.
It struck me as odd though that there is a Mister Donut in the background. I haven't seen one in years (though apparently there was one scant miles from where I lived in college) and forgot about that logo, which still strikes me as pretty great. It turns out that Mister Donut was bought out by Dunkin Donuts* in early 1990 and all but a few in the country were changed to Dunkins. The weird part though is that Mister Donut THRIVES in Asia. I bet Hardees are kicking ass there as well (much like the American South, companies don't really die, they just migrate there).
Still not happy? How about some French girly music? KA-BLAMO! I don't really know what to tell you about Jecqueline Taieb, other than she seems to be something of a Parisian one-hit wonder and, according to her website, is totally making a comeback. I found out even less about Arlette Zola, which you can pretty much read all of here. Anyway, these songs are fun and have the same wacky appeal that the swinging London records of the same time frame have, only they're, um, in French. I've studied French for four years, and I can pretty much give you bad translations of the titles, which I've provided. Please correct them as needed. Anyway, if this shit can't cheer you up you're screwed. Have fun in the burn ward, jocko.

"7 Heures Du Matin" (7 in the morning) - Jacqueline Taieb

"Ce Soir Je m'En Vais" (I leave tonight?) - Jacqueline Taieb

"Je Suis Folle de Tant t'Aimer" (loving you makes me crazy) - Arlette Zola


download Jacqueline Taieb songs here and Arletta Zola songs here or something.

*in a strange twist, Mister Donut was started by the brother-in-law of the founder of Dunkin Donuts. Which got me thinking: Mister/Dunkin, Waffle House/Huddle House, Adidas/Puma... if there's anything that these companies can teach you is that family in-fighting and grudge holding is good for competition and should be encouraged. So yeah, no more breaking up family fist fights for me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally forgot about the Adidas/Puma rivalry! I believe it was when I paged through the book Sneaker Freaker (not positive) that informed me. This may cause ripples for some, but they are tantamount in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

"care-bear with a drinking problem"?

lord, if that doesn't scream adult swim, i don't know what does.