Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's 3:25 AM, but I wanted to write something after yesterday (or the day before), in which the Flyers won, the Sixers drew the second pick in the 2010 NBA draft, and for the first time since I was 2 years old, Arlen Specter will no longer be a Senator from Pennsylvania. I was trying to write a paper while most of it happened, but they remain pretty great for me in more ways than one. But for this post, I'll focus on the last one.

I have been registered on the left since I was 18, the Democratic party for about half of that time. Since I come from a long line of Republicans, I've never been stupid about it, and I've always maintained that I agree more with the GOP on some issues than I do with the liberals. Well, up until a few years ago when the GOP went all batshit. Apparently Specter did to, but I digress.  He was the kind of guy who would stand his ground if he felt strongly about something, and that I admire above all. I've agreed with him a lot more than most of his former party, and I've never felt terrible about him representing me (unlike his old colleague Santorum).

One of the things that you can't deny about Sen. Arlen Specter is that he has worked his ass off for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He got us funding, he pushed initiatives, he twisted arms to get what he wanted. I don't know if I'd ever call him likable, but I can't think of a likable Senator, especially one that I'd want representing me. Truth is he was kind of a bastard, but that was his appeal.

Sure, he was kind of a bonehead sometimes. His famous magic bullet theory still boggles the mind, and I'll never understand what the hell he was thinking when he went after the NFL a couple of years ago. But he was sure as hell dependable, and that's what I'd like to think of his legacy: "dependable, tenacious, brought in $"

Of course, I can't complain about Sestak, either. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he first ran for congressman and he had my vote almost immediately. He's proven to be a standup guy and I've been proud to have voted for him in every possible election until this one. I wish him a long and storied career as a United States Senator, and I look forward to questioning his motives in the future. But for now, I have to get up in 4 hours and change and start working on a new project (just a few more weeks, people. Then I will hopefully be ALL OVER this thing). But for now, before dawn creeps in, I'd like to thank Arlen Specter for being our guy for almost my entire lifetime. I wish you Sestak coulda bumped Casey out and ou coulda stayed, but the timing was off. In lieu of that, just know that your work will never be forgotten.

No comments: