Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Podcast roundup


So, I'm only going to give loose descriptions and I'm linking directly to the feeds. There are others I listen to (particularly music ones), but I never stick to long enough to list here. So this is what I have on file at the moment.

News/Politics
Democracy Now! (audio) - Daily. I listen to at least the headlines every day, usually most of the show.
The Rachel Maddow Show (audio) - Daily. I'll listen to this every other day or so, but I tend to not pay attention to some of it, depending on if I've seen the Daily Show recently.
The Economist - Comes out a few times a week. Usually I listen to the complete audio version of the magazine, but if I can't find that falling off a truck somewhere, this is always a nice mini-fix
Meet The Press (audio) - Once a week. It largely depends on who the guest is (and there is some hesitance now to listen to Dave Gregory's voice for that long every week), but this is still the round table.
Slate's Political Gabfest - Once a week. ...another round table.

Comedy/Entertainment
WFMU's The Best Show on WFMU - Once a week. 3 Hours of mirth, music, and mayhem. Mostly the latter. Sometimes I listen to this live, sometimes I tune to the podcast. It's all relative.
Jordan Jesse GO! - Once a week. I go from bored and barely complacent to zealous fan on this, depending on the episode. I'm currently waiting for them to bat out of this slump.
The Sound of Young America - Once a week. This depends entirely on the guest, though I should state here thast Jesse Thorn has become a favorite interviewer of mine, recently. Both because his interests and mine overlap often and so I tend to like his guests, but also because he conducts these in a more relaxed tempo, and in his home, which is nice.
Never Not Funny - Once a week. I recently subscribed to the primo podcast, which is much longer. It varies, but honestly, listening to Andy richter's interview alone was worth it. I just wish Paul F. Tompkins was still on it twice a season. Weird: I kind of love and hate host Jimmy Pardo.
The Moth - Just people telling stories. I switched for this instead of This American Life for some reason some time back. I think TAL started getting too precocious for me? Or maybe I felt bad about never contributing. Either way, I'm comfortable with my decision.

Music
WFMU's Sinner's Crossroads - Weekly. Gospel music. See post the other day.
NPR: All Songs Considered - I have like 4 of these I haven't listened to yet, so I don't know why I'm counting this, but I do like it whenever I'm listening to it. And Tom Moon appears on it quite a bit, which I like.
KEXP Live Performances - I only download these rarely, and it depends entirely on who is playing, but it's still great when it's great.
*I just deleted all of the NPR live concert series, because it kept downloading the same Laura Gibson video show without asking me, and I didn't want it or it's cumbersome file size.

History Nerds
Stuff You Missed in History Class - Every couple of days. I like history. A little while ago, I actually had to get out of bed I was laughing so hard at one of the hosts, when talking about serial killers in the Countess of Bathory episode, says: "...650 victims over 54 years, No one's even come close to that. Some guy in Brazil murdered 300, and actually he's on the loose right now, so... look out Brazil". He was talking about the "Monster of the Andes", Pedro Lopez, who operated in Peru, Columbia, and Ecuador, but has certainly been wanted by authorities since 2001.
Stuff You Should Know - Every couple of days. I also like stuff.

Comics
Ifanboy Pick of the Week - Three guys talking about comic books.
WordBalloon - No idea. Usually, these are extended interviews with comic book creators. I listen every once in awhile, but not often enough to know how often it comes out.

Sports
ESPN: NBA Today - Ball. I just found this the other day, after the disappearance of the Inside dish in July.
Basketball Jones (audio) - This reminds me of listening to the sports writers from my college newspapers sitting around bullshitting. I don't agree with everything they say, but they know boatloads more than I do about the league. Warning: Canadian Accents.

7 comments:

Chase said...

that is a long list. I plow through the BS Report, Savage Love, the Slate Political and Culture Gabfests, Cinebanter, The Moth, any Slate Spoiler Specials that I've seen the movies to, Left Field Cinema, and somehow the Jack Welch business podcast, and now that I type that out I have no idea why I would add anything from your list that makes me listen to MORE shit, but here we are and I just might.

Unknown said...

yeah, I end up deleting at least 5-10 a week, too. I hate letting them pile up and feeling like I gotta catch up on something.

lorna said...

thanks for the tips. i missed a lot of stuff in history class.
-lorna

Sarah said...

I know what I'll be listening to for the rest of the year.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Chase said...

I have a problem with this Stuff You Missed in History Class in that they don't seem to have any crediblity on the subjects that they're talking about. the ones I heard were like sophomores telling each other the recent discovery that Jesus was black. are they all like that?

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what you mean that they don't seem to have any credibility. I mean, they're definitely more Sarah Vowell than Shelby Foote, but still completely capable of doing some easy research. Have you checked any of the articles?

Chase said...

i have not. there are articles?

the one on the diamond trade, for example, had one girl make a point about synthetic diamonds being low quality and the other girl reply that Debeers invented a machine to tell synthetics from organics. neither of these girls did any more than read Delta Airmiles. I'm just saying that I'd enjoy it more if I thought that either of them knew anything about the subject at hand or if they brought in someone that did. maybe that episode was a bad example. it probably doesn't also help that my wife has browbeaten me with the diamond thing over the years.