Friday, October 12, 2007

Now Listening:

Rebetika is essentially the outsider music from the early 1920s to the late 1950s in Greece. It's the music of drug addicts and prisoners and lovers. Not surprisingly, then, it gets a lot of comparisons to American blues. It was actually banished by the far-right and censorship-happy Metaxas regime. However, also much like American blues, the genre was cleaned up sold to the upper class and eventually nationalized.
I can't speak a word of Greek. I can barely spell most of the Greek foods I like. But this music is really interesting and in some cases heartbreaking. I'm sure I'll sneak some on the next mix I throw together, whenever that might be.


I'm also reading some stuff on the breaking of tradition in the practices of Zoroastrianism. It's... a lot more interesting than it sounds.

Also, Trader Joe's sells scotch here. Someone help me wrap my head around this.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I had no that California had Trader Joes!

Sarah said...

Whoops. Insert the word idea after no.

Unknown said...

I think it actually started in California. and they sell $46 scotch there. hooray!

David Goodman said...

have you read "middlesex" - it's right up you ally - a love story about an incestual hemaphroditic greek family - they talk about smoking weed and listening to "outsider" music... ompah indeed